By sharing my writing (Poetry in particular), a life long dream, I hope to inspire others to go after their dreams and goals.

Saturday, August 18, 2018

The Journey Forward

Often times it may seem as if a person's success happened overnight. That is far from the truth in many cases. Even if a little magic or luck occurred, you can be sure a lot of thought and hard work preceded the outcome.

I finally achieved a long held dream, to graduate college. My reasons for doing so, 30 plus years after dropping out, are different but the goal remained the same. I wanted to change the narrative for my family, I wanted to be the best I could be for myself, and I wanted my parents and children to be proud of me. My parents are deceased but they were and continue to be an inspiration in my life.

Two of my children graduated with a college degree before me, and the third will graduate in the near future. I like to think I did change the narrative, but not just by earning a degree. I've taught my children to always learn about everything and everyone.

Having an open mind, using your imagination and being creative, are all necessary and vital to living a balanced life. Being curious about the world can lead to fascinating conversations, adventures, insights and relationships.

My journey forward, having just marked the 50th year of my life, is to live fully. That means taking risks, trying new things, and stepping outside of my comfort zone. Pushing our dreams and passions aside until tomorrow is risky because we never know when we will leave this beautiful world.

The journey forward for anyone should include finding out what you enjoy doing and doing it. Caring for the people in your life. Keeping a positive outlook. Negativity is toxic.

Work hard to be healthy. Mentally, emotionally, and physically. Spirituality is different for everyone, but whatever brings you peace, pursue that. Nature, prayer, meditation, are all ways of being still and quiet.

Music is life! Don't limit yourself to one genre or artist. Same with books and movies. Think outside of the box. Pursue a hobby. Travel. Play. Work hard. Rest. Don't limit yourself based on other's perceptions of what your life should look like.

Be YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment