By sharing my writing (Poetry in particular), a life long dream, I hope to inspire others to go after their dreams and goals.

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Focus on Love

Recent events have really pushed people's emotions.

Sadness because of horrific shootings, terrorist acts such as the one that took place in my hometown of New York, and many other things happening in the world today.

Anger is also dominating, within politics, the entertainment industry, the sports industry and more.

Both of the abovementioned emotions have led to feelings of being scared. This emotion is helpful but can also be a deterrent if one allows it to consume their life.  We all experience fear as a warning sign of danger but when fear becomes a permanent state of mind it can affect a person's life in profound ways.

One emotion that can be lost amidst the trauma of recent events is happiness.

Yes we can still feel happy amidst so much trauma. Each day I read another headline or watch another tragedy unfold on the news, my heart just breaks. If I hold on to the emotions of anger, sadness and fear I find that I can't focus. I search daily for ways to maintain my happiness. To stay positive when so much negativity abounds.

In order to function at work, school, home, church or anywhere focus is needed. Our families and friends deserve our attention. They need our attention. If we allow fear to rule we would never leave our homes. If we give in to anger we may react in ways that we will regret.

We must allow ourselves to FEEL these emotions and more, but we must find a way to keep them from overwhelming our lives.

The way I choose to do this is to focus on love. One of my favorite scriptures is John 13:34 which tells us to love one another. When I look at someone with love there is no room for hate. The way that I am able to do this is because I recognize that we are all human beings. To truly look at someone and love them is to look beyond the surface and deep inside to the heart and soul of that person.

I am not someone writing from a professional standpoint, this blog is not offering medical advice. I am not advocating on behalf of anything or anyone.

I am simply a human being who is tired of other humans beings hurting their own.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." ~ Ephesians 4:31-32.

Focus on love,
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment