By sharing my writing (Poetry in particular), a life long dream, I hope to inspire others to go after their dreams and goals.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Fear is Not An Option

     On September 11, 2001 I was living in the borough of Queens, NY, about 45 minutes from lower Manhattan. I worked in lower Manhattan and was there when terrorists attacked the WTC. I survived that horrific event, and in my grief I decided less than a year later to relocate to Florida.
     I now live in Brevard County, FL, about 45 minutes from Orlando. I attend the University of Central Florida (UCF), which is located about 30 minutes from where the second deadliest act of terrorism in America took place on Sunday morning.

     I am beyond shaken. 

This post is not so much about me but about fear.  Though fear is a necessary response, it helps us to protect ourselves from danger, we must not allow it to dictate how we live our lives.

     Fear cannot win. Hate cannot win. Bigotry cannot win. Terrorism cannot win.

     I created my blog of poetry to try and inspire others through my words. I write what I feel. I feel as if my words cannot inspire today. I feel fearful and fear is not inspiring, but what people do in the face of fear IS very inspiring.

     To these inspiring people, I salute you and thank you:

The 11 courageous police officers who saved countless lives by engaging the shooter at Pulse nightclub.

To all law enforcement,  in Orlando and throughout the world.

To the first responders, from this event, other mass shootings and first responders everywhere.

To the superb and simply amazing doctors, surgeons,  nurses and staff at ORMC who worked tirelessly and in unity to save 53 lives and ALL doctors and nurses who do so everyday.

To our authority figures, Mayors, Governor's, the President and more. No one can fully appreciate the difficulty of leading in a time of crisis unless they have done the job themselves.

To the LGBTQ and Latino communities. Your bravery and show of strength and love are remarkable, especially in light of such a tragedy.

To the community of Orlando, and communities throughout the world who have shown solidarity and love for the victims and their families.

To the survivors of this tragedy, for bravely speaking about your experiences. May the many prayers being said comfort you as you begin to heal emotionally and/or physically.

To the victim's families. There are no words. May your family members rest in peace.

To the victims,  we will never forget you. May your deaths not be in vain.

To the person reading this blog. You matter. Your feelings matter. It makes no difference the color of your skin, your ethnicity, your religious affiliation or lack of, your sexual orientation or where you are from...you matter.

"Love is the absence of judgement. " ~ Dalai Lama

Note: If I have missed thanking someone,  I deeply apologize. This week has been difficult and I am not thinking clearly. Thank you to anyone who has been of support during this difficult time for our community. For example our blood banks. We appreciate everyone's efforts.

Fear is not an option,
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment