By sharing my writing (Poetry in particular), a life long dream, I hope to inspire others to go after their dreams and goals.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Topsy-turvy, Tiring, Troublesome, Trying and Totally Unavoidable Technology

Yes, I said it.  I am tired of technology.  Tired, as in drained and dazed, from looking at screens so much.  The television screen, the computer screen, and most especially the phone screen.

Don't get me wrong.  I love technology!  There are many positives to be found in this new world we find ourselves in.  However, there are also some real negatives.  As many of you probably do,  I use technology in just about every aspect of my life.  Work, school, play, news, communication, health, fitness, mental, spiritual (yes I tried the online bible app), writing, and more.

I can recall not too long ago when I questioned the validity of "online" college classes and now find myself enrolling in them more and more.  I recall, too, when I did not know what an "app" was.  Now I search for new apps for ways to "improve" my daily life.  Do you recall the days when email did not exist?  It wasn't that long ago I can assure you.

Apps, online banking, watching TV shows and movies online, Google, social media, face-timing a loved one, all have obvious advantages and certainly make life moments easier and enjoyable.  Yet I find myself missing old fashioned ways of doing things.

For example, catching up with a friend and talking about life without using the phrase "I saw that on Facebook".  Eating or enjoying an outing with your family without several phones visible and most often used throughout.  Gathering to watch a TV show and not having so many channels or programs to choose from.  Knowing very little about a movie before going to the movie theater.

Now I realize much of this depends on the behavior and habits of each person.  I fully understand that one can set limits on their use of technology, and certainly it us up to each of us to balance our lives appropriately.  But who has not found themselves from time to time completely immersed in their gadgets and gizmos?  Be honest.  I am in awe of the people I know who barely use technology but this can also have its disadvantages.

Keeping up with technology is not easy, but the older I get the more I realize how important it is, and how useful it can be if used correctly.  Let's face it, applying for a job, opening a bank account, paying bills are taking place more and more online.  It is to our advantage to keep ourselves updated when it comes to using our technological gadgets.

With that said, I finally learned how to add "share" buttons to my blog.  I have been writing this blog for about three years now and recently a lovely lady from Pinterest said she wanted to share my poetry, and I was at first flattered and then confounded as to how to create the icon.  Yet, I could not believe how easy it was to do once I found a moment to figure it out.  I was even able to add a "like" button at the bottom of my page.

So while technology can be all that I mentioned in my title, it can also be Creative, Fun, Exciting, Interesting, Enjoyable, Thought-provoking, and an Invaluable resource.  Now if I could just figure out "the next new app, the new kids are creating, that hasn't come out yet!"

Logging out for sanity's sake until next time.

Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment