By sharing my writing (Poetry in particular), a life long dream, I hope to inspire others to go after their dreams and goals.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

My Goal List 2016

Hello all,

It's that time of year again. Can you believe it? One minute it's summer and the next....well we all know how fast Christmas seems to arrive.

As I have written before, I like to make a list of goals I hope to achieve in the New Year starting in November, not January. I am a little late this year because I am actually accomplishing some of the goals I had on last year's list!  How exciting to actually be able to cross not one goal, but several off of my list.

What New Year's Resolution, goals or dreams did you accomplish from last year's list? If the answer is none, don't be too hard in yourself! Check your list again and see if you are at least taking steps toward your goal.

It took 3 years to earn my AA degree, a goal I have held since I had to drop out of college way back in 1985! The important thing is I have finally done it. Now I have a new goal,  to receive my Bachelor's degree.

I believe one thing leads to another but we need to be willing to put in the time and effort. Here's the truly important thing,  the goals you are trying to reach should be yours. Not a goal your parents, or your well meaning friends, spouse,  partner or children want you to accomplish. YOUR true dream, wish,  goal,  resolution, whatever you choose to label it.

"Be not afraid of growing slowly,  be afraid only of standing still. " ~ Chinese Proverb

So get a piece of paper,  your planner or your electronic device out and start writing your list of goals.  Then each day take a small step towards reaching them. Want to quit drinking soda? Drink one cup less a day,  replacing it with water, and soon you will not even enjoy the taste of soda. How do I know? I did it!

My list this year will be a mixture of mundane goals to elaborate and grand dreams! It's just a list. Action on our part is what brings the list to fruition.

The best of luck to you all! There are no limits to what you can achieve. Believe in yourself.

Class of 2015,
Valerie







No comments:

Post a Comment