By sharing my writing (Poetry in particular), a life long dream, I hope to inspire others to go after their dreams and goals.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Find Enjoyment All Around You

Melbourne Beach 2014 @Valerie Maldonado
I have the pleasure of living in the "Sunshine" state, Florida.  We enjoy spectacular weather throughout the year.  During the "Winter" we can sometimes reach low temperatures and freeze but it is for such a short period of time we almost embrace it.  We definitely have very hot summers that we grumble through as we watch out for tropical systems but otherwise the weather is beautiful.  I also live 15 minutes away from the beach, a dream come true, but I have probably been to the beach no more than 15 times in the twelve years that I have called Florida home.

Why is that?  I love the beach.  I love the ocean, the waves, the sand, the feeling of serenity one gets when listening to the birds and water.  So why haven't I been there more often?

It's because we get so busy with our daily lives we do not make time to do the things we love.  We need to "schedule" in our pleasure activities the way we do our work, appointments, errands and so forth.

Growing up in the fabulous city of New York I took advantage of my surroundings and found enjoyment all around me in the museums, Broadway, "the beach", even traveling an hour to get to the nearest beach.  I went to parks, games, concerts and more.  Still I don't recall going up to the Empire State building or the Statue of Liberty, although I must have.  I know I never visited City Island.  I DID come to Disney quite often while living in NY but I have yet to go to Disney while living in Florida.

What happened?  Life happened.  We all get older, have more responsibilities, get stuck.  I do many things I enjoy but many times I will find a reason why I can't do other things.  Reasons such as lack of money or time or the opposite, I have plenty of time to do that, I will do it next time.  The problem with this thinking is there may not be a next time.

I intend to change this.  In fact, I have already begun to change my mindset and my actions.  I am purposely, intentionally, with determination, set on discovering the enjoyment that exists all around me and making plans to visit, play, and find pleasure in each place.  I will schedule time to go to the beach.  I will "save" money to go to Disney if that is something I want to do.

Because that is the other part of why we don't see what is around us.  We become creatures of habit.  We partake in what we know we like, such as going to the movies and watching the same type of movie over and over, or having drinks with friends at the same location, or eating at the same restaurant.  Somehow there is comfort in doing the same thing.  It feels "safe".

I often read in awe about people who live very much outside the box.  I feel I do to some degree but I am trying to enrich my life even more by stepping out and to "find enjoyment all around" my neighborhood, city, state, and nation.  Then I plan on finding it in Paris! God willing.

Enjoy your day,
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment